Winners of 2014 International Seafarers' Welfare Awards Announced
The winners of the 2014 International Seafarers' Welfare Awards were announced last night during a high profile ceremony hosted by Secretary General of the International Labour Organisation, Mr Guy Ryder at the International Labour Organisation (ILO) in Geneva, Switzerland.
The winners are:
- Judges Special Award : Ms Apinya Tajit, Thailand
- Shipping Company of the Year: Wallem Ship Management
- Port of the Year: Port of Antwerp, Belgium
- Seafarer Centre of the Year: Flying Angel Club, Fremantle, Australia
- Dr Dierk Lindemann Welfare Personality of the Year Award: Fr Paul Noel, Durban, South Africa
The Welfare personality of the Year Award is named after Dr Dierk Lindemann who sadly passed away on 17 March 2014. Dr Lindemann served as the Shipowner's Group spokesperson at the ILO and took a lead role in getting the Maritime Labour Convention adopted.
Commenting on the evening Roger Harris, ISWAN Executive Director, said: "The awards recognise excellent achievement and they inspire others to do more for the welfare of seafarers. We are particularly pleased that the awards are being held at the ILO with the Maritime Labour Convention eight months in force."